As you prepare to start your locum tenens journey, one of the most important things to understand is how to compare locum tenens jobs. Depending on your specialty and desired location to work, you will likely have a handful of jobs to choose from, which can be overwhelming to new locums providers. Use the tips below as a guide to help you navigate your options and choose a job that works best for you.
Decide What Matters to You
Before you choose a job, or before you even begin job searching, make a list of what matters most to you. For example, are you working locum tenens for the money, or are you looking to travel to a state you have never been to before? Other things to consider when comparing locum tenens jobs are:
- Pay rate: This depends on your specialty and the location of the facility
- Location: You can choose to work in rural or urban settings.
- Opportunity to expand your clinical skills: This may be more important to you if you are at the beginning of your physician career.
- Malpractice insurance: Most agencies offer this to their locum tenens providers.
- Travel and housing: Some agencies assist with getting you to and from your assignment. Health Carousel Locum Tenens offers a 24/7 Concierge to answer all your travel and housing questions, help with emergencies, and make sure you get to where you need to be.
- Overall experience with the agency: You want to make sure that you have a representative that is responsive to your questions and is dedicated to finding a great job for you.
Speak with More than One Agency
Agencies often have access to the same jobs in the job pool, but one agency can have access to a job that other agencies do not, and vice versa. We recommend locum tenens providers communicate with several agencies to see what jobs they offer. While this may put more options on your plate, it ensures that you have the opportunity to explore all options before making a decision. Another reason to speak with multiple agencies is to make sure you are working with a recruiter that you trust and feel comfortable with. Here are 12 questions to find the best locum tenens agency.
Trust Your Instincts
As with many decisions in life, the best thing to do is to trust your instincts. Once you have the knowledge and resources to know what you are looking for when comparing locum tenens jobs, select the one that feels the best to you. We are here to help answer any questions you may have. If you would like to speak with a representative, contact a recruiter today.